I am currently an Assistant Professor at Louisiana State University (website: https://www.dlilab.com/). I used to be a postdoc associate in the Department of Wildlife Ecology and Conservation at the University of Florida.
- 2011 – 2016, Ph.D., Department of Botany (focus on Quantitative Ecology), University of Wisconsin-Madison. Defense video
- 2013 – 2016, M.S., Biometry, Department of Statistics, University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- 2008 – 2011, M.S., School of Life Science, Sun Yat-sen University, China.
- 2004 – 2008, B.A., School of Life Science, Yunnan University, China.
- Daijiang Li, Russell Dinnage, Lucas Nell, Matthew Helmus, and Anthony Ives. 2020. phyr: An R package for phylogenetic species‐distribution modelling in ecological communities. Methods in Ecology and Evolution. In press.
- Daijiang Li, Julian Olden, Julie Lockwood, Sydne Record, Michael McKinney, and Benjamin Baiser. 2020. Widespread Loss of Spatial Taxonomic, but not Phylogenetic, Diversity in the Anthropocene. Proceedings B. 287:20200777.
- Robert Guralnick, Maggie Hantak, Daijiang Li, and Bryan McLean. 2020. Body size trends in response to climate and urbanization in the widespread North American deer mouse, Peromyscus maniculatus. Scientific Reports. 10:8882.
- Susan Harrison, Marko Spasojevic, and Daijiang Li. 2020. Climate and plant community diversity in space and time. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 116(9):4464-4470.
- Vijay Barve, Laura Brenskelle, Daijiang Li, Brian Stucky, Narayani Barve, Maggie Hantak, Bryan McLean, Daniel Paluh, Jessica Oswald, Michael Belitz, Ryan Folk, Robert Guralnick. 2020. Methods for broad-scale plant phenology assessments using citizen scientists’ photographs. Applications in Plant Sciences. 8(1): e11315.
- Daijiang Li, Brian Stucky, John Deck, Benjamin Baiser, and Robert Guralnick. 2019. The effect of urbanization on plant phenology depends on regional temperature. Nature Ecology and Evolution. 3:1661-1667. News & Views Blog post NSF highlight Press release 1 Press release 2
- Daijiang Li, Jesse Miller, and Susan Harrison. 2019. Climate drives loss of phylogenetic diversity in a grassland community. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 116:19989-19994.
- Daijiang Li, Lauren Trotta, Hannah Marx, Julie Allen, Miao Sun, Douglas Soltis, Pamela Soltis, Robert Guralnick, and Benjamin Baiser. 2019. For common community phylogenetic analyses, go ahead and use synthesis phylogenies. Ecology. 100:e02788.
- Jesse Miller, Daijiang Li, Marina LaForgia, and Susan Harrison. 2019. Functional diversity is a passenger but not driver of drought-related plant diversity losses in annual grasslands. Journal of Ecology. 107:2033-2039.
- Benjamin Baiser, ..., Daijiang Li, ..., Justin Yeakel. 2019. Ecogeographical rules and the macroecology of food webs. Global Ecology and Biogeography. 28:1204-1218.
- Pedro Albuquerque, Denis Valle, and Daijiang Li. 2019. Bayesian LDA for mixed-membership clustering analysis: The Rlda package. Knowledge-Based Systems. 163, 988-995.
- Daijiang Li, Timothée Poisot, Donald Waller, and Benjamin Baiser. 2018. Homogenization of species composition and species association networks are decoupled. Global Ecology and Biogeography. 27(12), 1481-1491.
- Daijiang Li. 2018. hillR: taxonomic, functional, and phylogenetic diversity and similarity through Hill Numbers. Journal of Open Source Software. 3(31), 1041.
- Anthony Ives and Daijiang Li. 2018. rr2: An R package to calculate R2s for regression models. Journal of Open Source Software. 3(30), 1028.
- Benjamin Baiser and Daijiang Li. 2018. Comparing species area relationships for native and exotic species. Biological Invasions. 20(12), 3647–3658.
- Daijiang Li, Julie Lockwood, and Benjamin Baiser. 2018. Taxonomic and phylogenetic homogenization across US national parks - The role of non-native species. Book chapter in From Biocultural Homogenization to Biocultural Conservation. Edit by Rozzi et al.
- Lauren Trotta, Benjamin Baiser, Jennifer Possley, Daijiang Li, James Lange, Sarah Martin, and Emily Sessa. 2018. Community phylogeny of the globally imperiled pine rockland ecosystem. American Journal of Botany. 105(10): 1735–1747.
- Michael Perring, ..., Daijiang Li, ..., Kris Verheyen. 2018. How nitrogen deposition affects forest understorey plant community change: towards understanding context. Environmental Pollution. 242: 1787-1799.
- Huixuan Liao, Fangfang Huang, Daijiang Li, Luyao Kang, Baoming Chen, Ting Zhou, Shaolin Peng. 2018. Soil microbes regulate forest succession in a subtropical ecosystem in China: evidence from a mesocosm experiment. Plant and Soil. 430(1-2), 277-289.
- Daijiang Li, William Monahan, and Benjamin Baiser. 2018. Species richness and phylogenetic diversity of native and non-native species respond differently to area and environmental factors. Diversity and Distributions. 24: 853-864.
- Emily Sessa, Sally Chambers, Daijiang Li, Lauren Trotta, Lorena Endara, Gordon Burleigh, and Benjamin Baiser. 2018. Community assembly of the ferns of Florida. American Journal of Botany. 105(3): 1–16.
- Michael Perring, ..., Daijiang Li, ..., Kris Verheyen. 2018. Environmental change effects on plant community trajectories depend upon management legacies. Global Change Biology. 24:1722–1740.
- Daijiang Li and Anthony Ives. 2017. The statistical need to include phylogeny in trait-based analyses of community composition. Methods in Ecology and Evolution. 8: 1192–1199.
- Daijiang Li and Donald Waller. 2017. Fire exclusion and climate change interact to affect long-term changes in the functional composition of plant communities. Diversity and Distributions. 23: 496-506.
- Daijiang Li, Anthony Ives, and Donald Waller. 2017. Can functional traits account for phylogenetic signal in community composition? New Phytologist. 214: 607-618.
- Kris Verheyen, Pieter De Frenne, ..., Daijiang Li, ..., Markus Bernhardt-Romermann. 2017. Combining biodiversity resurveys across regions to advance global change research. Bioscience. 67: 73-83.
- Daijiang Li and Donald Waller. 2016. Long-term shifts in the patterns and underlying processes of plant associations in Wisconsin forests. Global Ecology and Biogeography. 25: 516–526.
- Daijiang Li and Donald Waller. 2015. Drivers of observed biotic homogenization in pine barrens of central Wisconsin. Ecology. 96:1030–1041
Media coverage: University of Wisconsin-Madison News; also printed in Science daily, Science blog, etc.
- Daijiang Li, Shaolin Peng, Baoming Chen. (2013). The effects of leaf litter evenness on decomposition depend on which plant functional group is dominant. Plant and Soil. 365:1-2, 255-266.
- Baoming Chen, Shaolin Peng, Carla D'Antonio, Daijiang Li, Wentao Ren. (2013). Non-Addiitive Effects on Decomposition from Mixing Litter of the Invasive Mikania micrantha H.B.K. with Native Plants. PLoS ONE. 8(6): e66289.
- Bosun Wang, Shaolin Peng, Daijiang Li, Ting Zhou. (2009). Research progress on Merremia boisiana. Chinese Journal of Ecology. 28 (11), 2360-2365
2016 and before
Selected Awards and Grants
- 2016, Ton Damman Award for Best Oral Presentation, Ecological Society of America Vegetation Section
- 2015, Early Career Centennial Mentoring Program (10 early career ecologists total), Ecological Society of America
- 2015, Student Conference Presentation Grant, $600. Graduate school, University of Wisconsin–Madison
- 2015, The Raper Conference Travel Support , $400. Department of Botany, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- 2014, The Flora Aeterna Research Grant, $1,500. Department of Botany, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- 2013, The Flora Aeterna Research Grant, $5,000. Department of Botany, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- 2012, Davis Research Grant, $1,500. Department of Botany, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Professional Service and Outreach
- Associate editor: Ecology and Evolution (2018 - present)
- Manuscript reviewer for (certified review record):
- Ecological Applications
- Ecology Letters
- Global Ecology and Biogeography
- Journal of Applied Ecology
- Journal of Ecology
- Nature Scientific Reports
- New Phytologist
- Plos One
- Proc B
- 2014, Darwin day volunteer, UW-Madison.
- 2013 ~ 2014. Biology Colloquium Committee, Botany department, UW-Madison.
- 2013 ~ 2014. Graduate student Committee, Botany department, UW-Madison.
- 2012 ~ 2013. Department Technical Committee, Botany department, UW-Madison.